Protect personnel and surrounding area from pressurized fluid
Designed to protect against over-pressure events during fracing operations, the NOV Frac Protection System (FPS) protects personnel and the surrounding area from the pressurized fluid by relieving fracturing fluid into a tank.
The standard FPS skid includes a manifold section, relief tank, hydraulic power unit, and control system. This unique system is available in multiple configurations—with and without a 72-bbl flowbank tank and reduced functionality to decrease on-site footprint.
During fracing operations, the FPS is connected to the primary treatment line, and a signal from the FPS skid control system or the customer’s data van will trigger the relief valve in case of over-pressurization in the line.
Our relief valve will open the instant an over-pressure event has occurred, and up to three pressure transducers will be monitoring working pressure every 20 milliseconds upstream from the FPS. The controls system will email a report every time an over-pressure event occurs, and over-pressure relief points can be set locally or remotely while the FPS is in service.
Versatile design, allowing fit-for-purpose utilization
- Tankless FPS: With the 72-bbl storage tank removed, this option reduces the footprint by approximately 45% while still maintaining all the benefits from the full-sized FPS. Discharge from the FPS can be routed to a discharge tank via a 3-in. 1502 connection on the FPS.
- Compact FPS: In this design, the 72-bbl tank and the main treatment and test isolation valves have been removed while still retaining the redundancy of the two relief valves installed in series. This option offers a 55% reduction in footprint compared to the full system while maintaining the FPS’s core functionality, ensuring reliable and repeatable operations.
- Manifold system designed to increase safety in operation, along with reducing downtime and valve wear as they can be easily tested with water instead of frac fluid
- Skid-mounted tank system for safe discharge of the over-pressurized frac fluid for safety and environmental protection
- Remote access to instrumentation and control system with 24-hour access
- Customizable system allows for customer-specific solutions
- Built-in redundancy decreases downtime and increases efficiency; FPS can run for hours on battery power if the frac site loses power
- Automatic reporting minimizes human error
- System designed for offline function test of relief valve to increase the life of the valve body, gate, and seat
- Fully integrated with our GoConnect™ remote monitoring system
Frac Protection System Dimensions
|Standard FPS||Tankless FPS||Compact FPS|
|Length||220 in. (559 cm)||115 in. (292 cm)||100 in. (254 cm)|
|Width||90 in. (229 cm)||95 in. (241 cm)||95 in. (241 cm)|
|Height||126 in. (320 cm)||95 in. (241 cm)||95 in. (241 cm)|
|Estimated Weight (dry)||17,500 lb (7938 kg)||13,000 lb (5897 kg)||10,500 lb (4763 kg)|